Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Homemade Caramels (Or why I can't lose 10 pounds)

I think my Aunt Susan said it best. When we called her to verify the recipe, she said, "It takes a village." It's expensive, it's time-consuming, it hurts your feet, and it burns your hands.

Oh and it makes you fat.

Now I understand why people don't make homemade caramels very often. But everyone should make caramels at least once in their lifetime (and you better believe I'll make them again and again and again).

These caramels are one of the most delicious treats I've ever tasted.

This is THE caramel recipe. Don't even try any of the other ones. (Brown sugar? No thanks. Adding water?! Are you kidding me? My caramels have no room for no-calorie water!)






















Homemade Caramels (Dana recipe)

1 quart Light Karo Syrup
4 cups sugar
2 cubes butter
1 can evaporated milk
1 pint whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla

1. Stir constantly as you bring sugar and syrup to a hard boil. (This might take a while.)
2. Add butter one square at a time. Add milk and cream alternately. Keep stirring.
3. Using a candy thermometer as reference, stir constantly as it boils to a soft ball stage. (This takes a LONG time. 30 minutes maybe?)
4. Stir in vanilla
5. Pour into a buttered cookie sheet pan
6. Let cool for about 5-6 hours


You're welcome.


4 comments:

  1. I stopped reading at 1 QUART of karo syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tempting! I can't believe the recipe snubs brown sugar and water! You are gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these caramels. I especially love these caramels perched against your yellow chevron.

    ReplyDelete